FAQs: AMVCA 2018
All your questions about the AMVCA 2018 answered.
- What is the AMVCAs?
- The Africa Magic Viewer’s Choice Awards is Africa’s most prestigious celebration of film and TV talent behind and in front of the cameras. The AMVCAs also represent the significant investment made by MultiChoice as a show of its commitment to the development of skills and talent on the continent
- Why has it taken much longer than usual to announce the 2018 edition of the awards?
- Following the fifth edition of the awards in March 2017, plans for the next instalment were put on hold to accommodate a busy MultiChoice production calendar in 2018, with the first two quarters of the year accommodating the highly anticipated return of Big Brother Naija and the FIFA World Cup. The hiatus was necessary to ensure that the AMVCAs hold amidst no distractions, and matches or even exceeds the stellar standards and production values that the awards are known for
- Has the long break not affected the eligibility window for filmmakers to submit their content?
- No. On the contrary, the window is much wider and all films, made-for-television movies or television series are eligible for entry to the AMVCAs if they are broadcast or publically screened during the period October 1st, 2016 to March 31st, 2018. This means the eligibility window is now 17 months, an improvement from last edition’s 11 months, thus catering to a wider array of film titles.
- How many categories are there for the 2018 AMVCAs?
- There are a total of 27 categories, with seven categories open to public voting and 20 being categories to be decided by the AMVCA panel of judges.
- Why are there more judging categories this year?
- Not only is there an overall increase in the total number of categories for the AMVCAs, there are now more categories to be decided by the AMVCA panel of judges. This change reflects the established importance of the AMVCAs amongst film and TV stakeholders on the continent and the need for a more critical approach to some of the categories. The viewers will nonetheless continue to select their favourites in critical categories including Best Actor and Best Actress, amongst many others.
- Where and when will the AMVCAs hold?
- The 2018 AMVCA will hold in Lagos, Nigeria on Saturday, September 1st, 2018 at the Eko Hotel
- Where can we watch the awards?
- The AMVCAs will be broadcast LIVE on all Africa Magic channels on DStv and GOtv. Further details about the broadcast of the award ceremony or any other related programming will be shared with customers in due time.
- Where can we find out more information about the AMVCAs, including the categories eligibility criteria and how to enter?
You can find out more about the AMVCAs by visiting www.africamagic.dstv.com and following @africamagic on Instagram and @africamagictv on Twitter.